The Chapel of St. Joseph
In 1896, Father Six built the ironwood Chapel of St. Joseph, southwest of the cathedral. Its columns, octagonal, are carved with lilies and their leaves, a symbol of the purity of St. Joseph. The choir is flanked laterally by two stone balustrades covered by fourteen stone reliefs depicting the life of Saint Joseph: his marriage to Mary, the appearance of the angel to St. Joseph, Mary’s visit to Elizabeth, St. Joseph and Mary return, the Nativity, the Flight into Egypt, the Holy Family in Egypt, the Holy Family at work, the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple, lost and found Jesus at age twelve, Jesus apprenticing with St. Joseph, and finally, the death of St. Joseph. All these sculptures pay homage to the hidden life of the saint.